- Town Government
- Departments & Services
- Active Transportation Projects
- Potts Sloan Beaty Connector
Potts Sloan Beaty Connector
Project description: This project includes pedestrian improvements on Potts Street and Sloan Street, a new road section connecting the north end of Potts Street cul-de-sac to the south end of Sloan Street, and a roundabout at the Griffith-Sloan-Beaty intersection.
Project Status: This project was previously suspended due to NCDOT's COVID-19 related funding shortfall, however the town was recently awarded $3,045,000 in supplemental funding from CRTPO and has been notified that the project received Right of Way Certification in early December 2022. Utility relocation will begin as soon as utility relocation for the NC 115/Potts St roundabout (U-5873) is complete. The current scheduled let date for the project is December 2023.
Page Updated: 03/20/2023
- Project Name: Potts/Sloan/Beaty Connector Project (U-5907)
- Cost: $11,766,828.00 ($1,300,000 Engineering; $2,500,000 Right-of-way acquisition; $6,890,000 Construction; $1,076,828 Contingency)
- Funding Source: State Highway Trust Funds & Bonus Allocation Funds
- Funding Status: Approved in Capital Improvement Plan
- Management Agency: North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT)
- Sister Project: NCDOT is proposing an improvement to the intersection of Hwy 115 and Potts Street in Cornelius. Information is available here Project Info Project Info.
Potts/Sloan/Beaty Corridor project history:
- 1983: The town considered connecting the north Potts Street cul-de-sac to Sloan Street as early as 1983, with the intention of providing an additional north-south route through town. The town commissioned engineered drawings for the connection at that time.
- 2011: Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization (CRTPO) allocated $2 million in federal dollars to construct a downtown parking deck.
- March 2012: Parking deck project and Red Line Regional Rail project put on hold.
- April 2012: Potts-Sloan Connector and Corridor improvements considered for reallocation of $2million parking deck funds.
- July 2013: Town commissioned Alta Planning + Design, a local active transportation planning firm, to assist with the corridor design.
- December 2013: Public charrette for the corridor design held. Project drawings developed with project cost estimates of $2 million
- 2014: $2 million in federal funding no longer available.
- August 2014: Town contracted for an environmental assessment and real estate analysis for corridor and street connector.
- January 2015: Project concepts and cost estimates submitted to Lake Norman Transportation Commission (LNTC) for inclusion in Metropolitan Transportation Plan as part of the I-77 Managed Lanes Bonus Allocation funding.
- March 2015: Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) approved CRTPO Bonus Allocation and Surface Transportation Program – Direct Attributable project list included $2.2 million for Potts/Sloan/Beaty corridor and $6 million for Potts St/Hwy 115 intersection improvements in Cornelius.
- April 2015: Davidson and Cornelius staff met with NCDOT and LNTC staff to discuss project management and coordination.
- October 2016: To facilitate the use of federal funding, the town temporarily transferred Potts Street, Sloan Street, and Beaty Street to NCDOT. After the completion of the project, these streets will be returned to the town system.
- December 2016: The NCDOT commissioned Kimley-Horn, a civil engineering firm, to manage design and construction of the Davidson and Cornelius projects.
- May 2017: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency conducted soil sampling along corridor and remediated areas where asbestos-containing material was found.
- Fall 2017: Citizens encouraged to learn about projects and provide feedback.
- February 12, 2019: Community Invited to NCDOT’s Project Review Session: Potts/Sloan/Beaty Corridor Project.
- March 26th, 2019 - Town Board passes Resolution for project.
- January 2, 2020 - Right-of-way acquisition starts.
- September 3, 2020 - Design 90% complete
- March, 2023 - Davidson awarded supplemental funding request by CRTPO Board
- July 1, 2023 - Projected construction start date.
- June 30, 2024 - Projected construction completion date
Town of Davidson Presentations
U-4907 Draft Menu of Improvements 02/06/2017
Potts Sloan Beaty Corridor Presentation 05/04/2015
Jamie Justice’s presentation to Davidson Board of Commissioners
NCDOT/Kimley-Horn Board Meeting Presentation 10/24/2017
Updated U-5907 Plans 07/01/2019
NCDOT Division 10
Town of Davidson