Beaty Park consists of approximately 20 acres of parkland at the northern entrance into Davidson and Mecklenburg County. Davidson Lands Conservancy worked with the town to deed two conservations easements on the property. The top 2.26 acres (developmental zone) allows for active recreation facilities and entails two picnic shelters, a restroom, five raised garden beds, a pollinator maze garden (to be planted in the fall '23), and a playground (rated for ages 5-12 years of age). The bottom 17.13 acres (preservation zone) allows for passive recreational features and includes a small amphitheater/pergola, foot bridges, trails, and a pond.
The playground was designed and built by Beanstalk Builders (Morganton, NC). Beanstalk Builders design playgrounds that inspire imagination. Their playgrounds are made out of natural wood which fits perfect in Beaty Park and captures the ambiance of the natural parkland.
The five raised garden beds were designed by the Davidson Garden Club. The Davidson Garden Club worked with town staff to take the beds and design each one to be unique and educational. The majority of the beds include native plants. A key to the beds with a list of plants in each bed can be found here.
- Project Name: Beaty Park
- Project Budget: $2,838,417.70 (Phase 1), $1,261,280.00 (Phase 2)
- Funding Source: GO Bonds and other funding
- Project Costs: Design ($298,565.25), Construction (1,990,435.00) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- March 28, 2018 - Resolution adopted to begin the conceptual pan process for the park
- May 22, 2018 - Task Force of Davidson residents was formed to guide the conceptual plan process and seek public input
- March 26, 2019 - Board of Commissioners adopted the final recommendation and disbanment of the Beaty Park Task Force
- October 11, 2019 - Conservation Easement on the Beaty Park property was recorded
- November 1, 2019 - Request for Qualifications went out to engage a private engineering or landscape architect to provide planning and design for Beaty Park.
- January 16, 2020 - Town contracted with The Dodd Studio to work on a schematic plan and provide updated information needed for Parks and Recreation Trust Fund (PARTF) application
- January 2021-February 2021 - Design Documentation
- March 2021-July 2021 - Construction Documents
- August 2021-September 2021 - Bidding and Procurement
- September 2021- June 2023 - Construction Administration
- June/July 2023 @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>