Veterans Monument Artist Information
The Davidson Public Art Commission is launching a call to submit designs for a Veterans Monument located in the Town of Davidson, NC.
About the Davidson Veterans Monument
Several years ago, a group of impassioned and enlightened veterans sought to organize the design of and funding for a Veterans Monument in Davidson. Their first goal was to work with the Davidson Public Art Commission as leaders in public art and then to open the discussion to other interested veterans and residents. Out of that grew the Veterans Monument Committee with the stated vision to commemorate all who have honorably served in the military to defend our nation and support our way of life.
This group met for many months to achieve consensus on their goals for the design and placement of the monument, which they agreed should be simple, elegant, and unique to Davidson. They want every military branch recognized, along with POW and MIA. They would like to see seating and landscaping incorporated into the design so that all who visit can have the opportunity to contemplate veterans who have given so much to our country.
It is important to the Veterans Monument Committee for the piece to convey key emotional attributes, such as gratitude, service, thoughtfulness, and peace. They do not want it to have a martial quality, but rather be a unifying and loving tribute. They are willing for it to be abstract in design, as long as it somehow conveys those qualities.
The Town of Davidson owns 2 parcels (00325705 and 00325726) in front of the Davidson, NC post office encompassing .191 and .062 acres, respectively. A link to the project area can be found HERE.
Please note that this is a public space where another public art piece is located. The area south of the brick walkway (approximately half of the entire parcel dimensions) is available for the Davidson Veterans Monument.
The Davidson Veterans Committee is responsible for raising funds for this project. The budget for the monument is $100,000 with an additional budget for landscaping and site work.
- Artist must be 18 years or older.
- Artist must live in the United States.
- The Davidson Veterans Committee is committed to serving the veteran community. Creatives that are veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Artist must include an artist statement about yourself, your practice and your experience.
- Artist must include a brief statement describing their proposed design.
- Artist can submit up to 3 examples of prior work.
- Examples of artwork in any media can be submitted.
- Submissions will only be accepted through the online application process.
- Proposed art shall be structurally sound and present no environmental or safety hazard.
- Proposed art shall be suitable for outdoor placement and designed to withstand outdoor elements with proper maintenance.
- Entries are due by 11:59 p.m. EST on October 18, 2023.
- Submissions will be reviewed by a jury from the Davidson Public Art Commission and the Davidson Veterans Committee.
- Selected artists will be notified by November 10, 2023, to produce a conceptual design and participate in an artist interview. Selected artists will receive a stipend for their conceptual design.
- Selected artists’ conceptual designs are due by 11:59 p.m. EST on December 15, 2023.
- Final artists selection will be announced by January 31, 2024 with a target installation date of November 11, 2024.