Merchant Safety Tips
The Davidson Police Department is dedicated to helping merchants create a safe workplace environment. We encourage you to share these tips periodically with your employees.
Here are some tips to get started.
Technology creates security issues. Being able to communicate with your customers in an instant also means your computer and the information stored there may be vulnerable to crime. Remember the following:
- Do not share sensitive information with unknown individuals in chat rooms or forums.
- Verify you have an encrypted connection when providing credit card or financial information online.
- Use a password that cannot be easily guessed. Mix up letters and numbers in a random fashion and change the password regularly.
- Keep backup information in a fire safe or off premises.
- Use virus protection software.
- Don’t send confidential, financial, or personal information through your email system.
- Display your street address clearly so emergency personnel can find your business.
- All exterior doors should be made of steel or solid wood.
- Make sure your building has good quality locks on the doors and windows. Deadbolt locks are a must for exterior doors and rooms where valuable items are kept.
- Have motion lights installed around the exterior of the building.
- Consider installing an alarm. If one is installed, become familiar with how to use it. Register the alarm with the Police Department.
- Check the identification of strangers coming to your workplace. Check utility workers identification if you are not familiar with them.
- Don’t allow visitors to wander through the building.
- Don’t allow visitors to be alone.
- Know the address of your location.
- If you are the first employee to arrive, check exterior doors and windows to make sure no one has broken into your building at night. If something looks suspicious, leave the building and call 911.
- Always keep your purse or wallet with you at all times. If you cannot keep it with you, lock it in a drawer or cabinet if possible.
- Be discreet. Don’t talk about your social life or plans loud enough for visiting people to hear.
- Try not to work late alone. If you must, tell someone how late you are working. Do not open the door to a stranger after hours.
- When leaving your workplace, look outside through the peephole or window to make sure no one is in the parking lot.
- As you approach your vehicle, have your door key in your hand and scan the area. Check the interior before getting inside.
- If you feel uncomfortable, have your cell phone handy with 911 already dialed in. Be ready to hit the send button.
- Consider being trained by the Red Cross in CPR and basic first aid.
- Be prepared. Have an emergency medical kit and fire extinguishers available and know how to use them.
Schedule a Visit
To have the Davidson Police Department visit your place of business to conduct a safety audit, please email or call to set up an appointment.