New Resident Requirements
As a new resident you must register your motor vehicle at the expiration of the time granted by reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your prior state of residence (usually 30 days) or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first.
Acceptable Types of Identification
You must present a valid North Carolina Driver’s License or a North Carolina Identification Card to register a vehicle in North Carolina. Valid driver’s licenses from other states may be accepted for vehicle registrations with documentation of the following:
- Military active duty stationed in NC
- College enrollment in a NC school
- Vehicle garaged in NC for a minimum of 6 months
- Court-ordered sale of a vehicle or vehicle is co-owned
- Registration for a motor home
- Documented medical condition
Obtaining a Driver's License
For information on how to get your North Carolina Driver's License, please visit the Driver Service website.